Geopolitics6 mins read

HRW Alleges M23 Abuses, Raising Congo Pressure

M23 abuses in Uvira alleged by Human Rights Watch put new pressure on Rwanda, Congo and international monitors as eastern Congo’s conflict remains unstable.

Editorial Team
Author
#DR Congo#M23#Rwanda#Uvira#Human Rights Watch#South Kivu#war crimes#sanctions
HRW Alleges M23 Abuses, Raising Congo Pressure

M23 abuses in Uvira are now under renewed international scrutiny after Human Rights Watch alleged that M23 rebels and Rwandan army forces carried out summary executions, rapes and enforced disappearances during a brief occupation of the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo city.

Reuters reported on May 14, 2026, that Human Rights Watch documented 53 summary executions, eight rapes and 12 enforced disappearances during the takeover and occupation of Uvira in late 2025 and early 2026. The allegations matter because Uvira is not only a civilian population center but also a strategic South Kivu port city near Burundi, where military control affects supply routes, displacement, sanctions pressure and regional diplomacy.

Human Rights Watch said M23 and Rwandan forces entered Uvira on December 10, 2025. The group withdrew in January 2026 but maintained positions north of the city, according to Human Rights Watch.

Context

The M23 armed group re-emerged in eastern Congo in 2021 and has since captured large areas of North and South Kivu. Human Rights Watch says Rwanda provides crucial military support to M23, including troops, artillery and logistics, while Rwanda has said it acts in self-defense against threats from Congo.

Uvira’s location gives the city importance beyond its local population. It sits on Lake Tanganyika and near the border with Burundi, making it a military and commercial node in a conflict shaped by armed groups, ethnic tensions, cross-border accusations and competition over territory.

The city’s occupation followed broader fighting in eastern Congo despite international mediation efforts. Reuters reported that Washington imposed sanctions in March 2026 on the Rwandan Defence Force and senior Rwandan army officials over alleged support for M23, an allegation Rwanda denies.

Mechanism

Human Rights Watch said its researchers visited Uvira in March 2026 after access became possible from Burundi. The organization said it interviewed scores of people affected by abuses during the December 2025 takeover and the period of M23 control.

According to the group, fighters conducted door-to-door searches and targeted men and boys accused, often without basis, of links to Wazalendo militias allied with the Congolese army. Human Rights Watch also said fighters shot at fleeing civilians and that some men taken during searches remained missing.

The alleged pattern matters because it suggests control was imposed through fear, searches, detention and violence rather than only battlefield movement. It also creates evidence questions: who gave orders, which units were present, where bodies were buried and whether sites can be preserved for future legal proceedings.

Stakeholders

Civilians in Uvira are the most immediate stakeholders. Families of those killed, disappeared or assaulted face both trauma and practical uncertainty, especially where missing relatives have not been located and survivors of sexual violence have not received medical care.

The Congolese government faces pressure to restore state authority while controlling allied Wazalendo groups accused of their own abuses. Human Rights Watch said some Wazalendo fighters had harassed and assaulted residents before the M23 takeover, including members of the Banyamulenge community.

Rwanda faces renewed diplomatic pressure because the allegations name Rwandan army forces alongside M23. M23 and Rwanda did not immediately respond to Reuters requests for comment, while both have previously denied allegations of abuses and accused Congolese forces and allied militias of targeting Tutsi communities.

Data and Evidence

The clearest reported figures are Human Rights Watch’s documentation of 53 summary executions, eight rapes and 12 enforced disappearances during the occupation. Reuters reported those figures on May 14, 2026, in its account of the HRW findings.

Human Rights Watch previously said its researchers heard accounts of M23 and Rwandan forces entering Uvira on December 10, 2025, carrying out searches, and abducting or executing men and boys accused of links to Wazalendo. The organization also said it visited three burial sites and was informed of others.

The evidence base remains sensitive. Human Rights Watch said it was difficult to know exactly who was buried in all reported mass or common graves, when they were buried and how they died, especially because it had also documented killings of civilians while the city was under Congolese and Wazalendo control in 2025.

Analysis

The strongest explanation is that Uvira’s brief occupation became a test case for how M23 and alleged Rwandan forces govern, punish suspected opponents and control civilians after taking a major city. The reported abuses fit a conflict environment where fighters often treat civilian identity, ethnicity, militia ties and location as grounds for suspicion.

That does not make every allegation legally settled. It does mean the burden now shifts toward preservation of evidence, access for investigators and responses from the accused parties.

The political consequence is wider than one city. If the allegations are substantiated, they could strengthen calls for targeted sanctions, support for international investigations and stricter monitoring of security commitments tied to the Washington Accords.

Counterpoint

The main counterpoint is that eastern Congo’s battlefield is crowded, and abuses have been attributed to multiple actors, including Congolese forces and allied Wazalendo militias. Human Rights Watch itself said civilians in Uvira had suffered under armed groups before the M23 takeover.

Rwanda has denied supporting M23 and has framed its actions as defensive. M23 and Rwanda did not immediately respond to Reuters requests for comment on the latest HRW allegations, and both have previously denied human rights abuse allegations.

That uncertainty does not erase the reported victim accounts, but it does require careful attribution. The allegations should be treated as documented claims by Human Rights Watch and reported by Reuters, not as court findings.

Consequence

The immediate consequence is pressure for investigations into possible war crimes and other serious violations. Human Rights Watch called for Congolese authorities, the United Nations and the UN Commission of Inquiry on North and South Kivu to support documentation, preserve evidence and pursue accountability.

The diplomatic consequence is pressure on Rwanda, M23 commanders and governments involved in mediation. The United States has already used sanctions tied to Rwanda’s alleged support for M23, and Human Rights Watch has urged the European Union, the United Kingdom and regional actors to consider similar targeted measures.

The local consequence is insecurity for residents and human rights defenders. Human Rights Watch said activists documenting M23 crimes feared reprisals if agents remained active or if the group returned.

What to Watch

The first issue to watch is whether Congolese authorities, UN investigators or forensic teams gain access to burial sites and witness testimony in Uvira. Evidence preservation will determine whether the allegations move from human rights documentation into legal proceedings.

The second issue is whether Rwanda or M23 issue detailed responses to the specific numbers and accounts reported by Human Rights Watch. A general denial would leave core factual disputes unresolved.

The third issue is military control around Uvira and the Ruzizi Plain. Reuters reported that M23 had withdrawn from several South Kivu positions and retreated about 30 kilometres farther north, but fighting continued in eastern Congo despite mediation efforts.

Sources

Sources = Investigating the M23’s Occupation of Uvira in Eastern DR Congo — Human Rights Watch — April 1, 2026

Sources = Rights group says M23, Rwandan army committed killings, rapes in Congo’s Uvira — Reuters — May 14, 2026

Share this article

Help spread the truth